Keap Candles is looking for talented operations assistants to step in for our increased seasonal demand, as well as to cover for time off taken by other staff over the coming year.
Schedule: Mondays, Tuesday, Wednesdays, Fridays 8AM-4PM
Seasonal Timing: October 3 through January 27 (we are closed Nov 24+25 and Dec 24-Jan 1)
Substitute Timing: year-round, ad hoc
Starting base pay: $20.00/hour
Location: Kingston, NY
Keap is a monthly candle subscription—at its core, Keap facilitates a reconnection to the natural world, our loved ones, and our own spirits. The candles blend the scents of acclaimed master perfumer Christophe Laudamiel with a regenerative approach to materials and packaging. We make our products in-house in our Kingston studio.
The company has been featured in leading publications such as the New York Times, Dwell, and Metropolis.
We’re a small team in the early days of a long-term journey to build a company that will benefit generations to come. We’re looking for kind, thoughtful, self-reliant problem solvers to join the team. If you love scented candles, are passionate about regenerating our planet, and believe this job description suits you, we would love to hear from you!
Who this might interest
If you’re looking for part-time work from October to January, a seasonal role could be for you. We’re also looking for substitutes who are interested in working full days on an ongoing, occasional basis, to cover us for vacation and sick days.
You are excited to participate in a variety of tasks across our operations—from tealight production to packing shipping boxes—helping make sure our customers receive something truly delightful.
You are dedicated, thorough, and able to stay focused and present for long periods of time. Your attention to detail could be described as uncanny.
You care about every candle unboxing, ensuring it feels magical and personal—from the quality of the candle to the way it is packed.
You aren’t afraid of long task lists or challenging goals; you simply find where to start and work your way down the list.
You are proactive, and don’t wait for someone to assign you more work after completing a task. You are comfortable jumping in on other studio tasks as requested or finding opportunities to help make work better for everyone.
You are eager to learn, and you are excited by the chance to receive training on principles like Continuous Improvement and Lean Manufacturing.
You enjoy working as a team and sharing great service with your coworkers. You like to contribute to high energy and high morale with your enthusiasm.
In this role, you may find yourself…
- Performing several steps of the candle making process, including wicking, finishing, labeling, inspecting, and boxing
- Folding, assembling, preparing, and packing shipping boxes as required
- Preparing candle kits, packing candles, and sorting supplies and inventory across the studio
- Jumping into other operational areas as needed
- Flagging safety and ergonomic issues
- Identifying and executing myriad small improvements in our processes and workflows
- Making our work more efficient and also more fun!
- Participating in trainings on Lean Manufacturing and presenting your key takeaways to the team
What we’re looking for
- Commitment to embodying our Values, to:
- Lead with Love - We lead with empathy and treat those we serve in the same way we would wish to be treated.
- Be Long-Term Committed - With every decision we make, we aim to do what is right for the sustainable, long-term good of our customers, community, ourselves, and the planet.
- Be Intellectually Rigorous - We seek to be both teachers and students in all that we do, always humbly looking for further improvement.
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Pride in getting a lot done, and getting it done well
- Strong sense of service and empathy
- Ability to be a team player and meet deadlines
- Availability to work on-site in Kingston, NY 8AM-4PM on agreed upon weekdays (some combination of Monday, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and/or Fridays)
- Reliability and assiduousness
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs and stand for long periods of time
- Comfort working with industrial and warehouse equipment
- Manual dexterity for operating machinery and accurately placing wicks and labels
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members in the English language, verbally and in writing
- Ability to read and interpret drawings, comprehend and give feedback on systems documents, use simple math, and use basic handheld measuring tools
- Comfort using Google apps, like Google Search and Google Sheets
- Comfort with other web tools, such as Slack, wikis, and project management software
- High School Diploma or GED