Keap is looking for a Full-Time Community Associate to help nurture long-term, loving relationships between Keap and all our customers, and to help create and share stories that bring to life the work we do at Keap.
Schedule: Monday through Friday, 9AM - 5PM
Starting base pay: $24.50/hour
Location: Remote during COVID-19, Downtown NYC post-COVID-19
Keap is a monthly candle subscription—at the core, Keap facilitates a reconnection to the natural world, our loved ones, and our own spirit. The candles blend the scents of acclaimed master perfumer Christophe Laudamiel with a regenerative approach to materials and packaging. We make our products in-house in our Kingston studio and are a certified B Corp.
The company has been featured in leading publications such as the New York Times, Dwell, and Metropolis.
We’re a small, caring team in the early years of a long-term journey to build a company that will benefit generations to come. We’re looking for kind, thoughtful, self-reliant, problem solvers to join the team and help inform not just our community engagement efforts but also the direction of our company and culture. If you love scented candles, are passionate about regenerating our planet and believe this job description suits you, we would love to hear from you.
Who this might interest
This is a unique opportunity to join a long-term minded small business, with a strong mission-driven ethos. We are looking for someone who enjoys building relationships through a lens of compassion and empathy, who thinks critically and creatively about storytelling and communication, and who is also interested in solving problems and improving the way we work. The ideal candidate has a broad palette of interests and has a genuine interest in the work we do at Keap.
You are joining a small team and will be the person responsible for nurturing our relationships with our customers, and will work directly with the founders of Keap. In this role, you’re equally at home taking an emotionally charged customer email, noticing the underlying needs being expressed and finding an empathetic solution, as you are using and improving the tools, systems and tracking we use to ensure we do this work ever-more consistently.
You have a striking ability to use language to communicate clearly and effectively, ensuring that complex situations are dealt with adroitly and empathetically. You are comfortable responding to multi-faceted customer emails, as well as drafting written work to a high technical and creative standard.
You enjoy the idea of taking a scientific approach to your work: continuously thinking about what you’re doing, testing new ways to do it more effectively and sharing breakthroughs with the team. You are able to prioritize effectively, manage your time independently and have a good sense of when to seek out answers and when to ask for help. This is particularly important during the remote-work phase of this role.
When you are done, you use time out from tasks to proactively solve problems you’ve encountered or work on new opportunities, such as improving internal documentation or systems to make your life easier in future. You are excited about freeing up time to take on new challenges, and find excitement in your job scope increasing as you find smarter ways to work.
You are caring, thoughtful and long-term minded in your approach to problem-solving.
If this sounds like a good fit for you, read on!
In this role, you will…
- Be responsible for overseeing, assigning and responding to the majority of the inbound customer communications we receive from our customers — from our subscribers to our hospitality and retail partners.
- Proactively help customers deal with common issues such as returned packages, lost in transit packages or multiple orders.
- Be responsible for liaising internally with the Keap Operations team, via Slack, to share information or receive information related to customer communications.
- Ensure information is updated, and structured appropriately internally when relating to tracking feedback, quality issues etc.
- Create and share Studio Stories to our blog, to help our customers get to know Keap, our team and our product better in various ways.
- Participate in our monthly Storytelling process, including creating drafts of email and blog communications, using design tools to create email and blog layouts and web tools for publishing.
- Manage our Large Order partners relationships, from new orders to ongoing relationships management.
- Help to define, use, improve, and train the core Keap Customer Love and Large Order systems.
- Be willing to perform other internal and external Storytelling & Community oriented work duties as needed, and as the company grows.
What we're looking for
- A commitment to embodying our Values, to:
- Lead with Love - We lead with empathy and treat those we serve in the same way we would wish to be treated.
- Be Long Term Committed - With every decision we make, we do what is right for the sustainable, long-term good of our customers, ourselves, and the planet.
- Be Intellectually Rigorous - We seek to be both teachers and students in all that we do, always humbly looking for further improvement.
- Highly empathetic and clear communicator, in both written and verbal English
- Able to communicate compassionately, even in challenging situations
- Optimistic and resilient mindset
- Exceptionally detail-oriented
- Strong initiative and thirst for learning
- Take pleasure in performing work to an exacting standard
- Comfortable working with data and using web apps for work tasks
- Excellent organizational skills, time management skills (Past experience working remotely and managing time a plus)
- Enjoy taking a scientific approach to measuring and experimenting with how to improve the quality and speed of our work.
- Bachelors’ degree or equivalent
- Ability to empathize with and consider customer feelings, translating these to relevant needs and actions for compassionate resolutions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities effectively
- Computer literacy, very comfortable using Google Chrome and Google Docs (Very strong web 2.0 skills)
- Availability to work remotely 9AM-5PM, 5 days/week initially, and on-site at a workspace (location TBD) in NYC 4 days/week post COVID-19.
- Some management of key customer relationships or a diverse array of stakeholders in the past a plus, but not a requirement
- Ability to use, maintain, update, and improve systems documentation, including on Keap’s digital systems
- Experience with empathetic communication style (e.g. hospitality, social work, non-violent communication) experience preferred.
- Experience with creative and technical web technologies preferred: Adobe Creative Suite, HTML/CSS coding, Zapier automation.
- Experience with our e-commerce tools a plus: Slack, Shopify, Recharge Subscriptions, Gorgias Helpdesk.
- Experience with “lean” systems and culture a plus, but not a requirement e.g. Kaizen, 5S
Keap and COVID-19
- Keap takes the COVID-19 pandemic very seriously and has been closely following guidance from the CDC, OSHA, WHO, and New York State.
- This role does not require repeated exposure to members of the public and the duties will initially be performed remotely under COVID-19.
How to apply
Please email your application to FutureKeaper@KeapBK.com with the subject “Community Associate”. Be sure to include:
- Your resume
- A note explaining your interest in the role (this can be in the body of the email itself)
Keap is an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to fight for equality, we work to ensure a fair and consistent interview process. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to an inclusive work environment.
This position is full-time and remote, with transition to full-time in NYC post COVID-19 regulations. All full-time Keap employees receive a generous paid vacation benefit, major candle benefits, and more.
Keap is a Public Benefit Corporation, and our ultimate vision is to restore balance to humanity’s relationship with the natural world. Making amazing candles is what most people know about us, but we measure our success as a company by our progress on that greater aim.
We are sorry that we cannot respond to each applicant individually. Due to our small size and the large volume of applications we receive, we are only able to respond to candidates who best match the qualifications of our open positions. The process can take some time, so we appreciate your patience.